Skip to main content

"Staycation" projects

I took a few days off work this past week and had a stay-cation. I did not travel, but rather worked on some projects that were on my list of things to do. These are some of my projects:



1. Ruffled t-shirt- As I mentioned in a previous post, I'd like to learn to sew. I've been following some blogs and how to's and decided to try to embellish my own t-shirt with ruffles. I got two in the same color from Old Navy off the clearance for $3-$4. This is my finished shirt. I used the tutorials found here and here.

2. Photo album scrapbook- I put my grandparents' 50th wedding album in a scrapbook. (Prior to learning about scrapbooking, the photos were in one of those horrible magnetic albums. We pulled them out and for years they have been in a box waiting to go in another album). It's not a traditional scrapbook but a scrapbook nonetheless. If you have not heard about photo album scrapbooking, you can check it out here. It is a great way for a beginner to ease into scrapbooking and for a seasoned scrapper to save some time.

Here a shot of the inside of my book:



3. Purse organizer- This certainly isn't pretty or sewn very professionally, but it is working for me. I did not have the right kind of interfacing and we do not have a sewing/fabric shop here, so I had to modify the tutorial to use what I had. An example and tutorial can be seen here.

4. Pie safe- This is my grandmother's. My grandfather built it shortly after they married in 1937. So.. it's 70+ years old. I inherited it. The bottom had a milky film on it that I could never get cleaned. I check with an antique store a couple of years ago and they recommended using the finest grain steel wool and simple green cleaner. I kept putting this off because I was afraid to try it but finally did it! It's clean! I used clorox green works cleaner instead of simple green and lightly applied it with a cloth rather than spraying directly on the wood. Hopefully someone can use this tip.

I did not make any cards this week. I don't have time to pursue too many hobbies at once, so I took some time to pursue some other interests. I'll still be making cards, but it may be less frequently because I still have some other projects to try. And I have five boxes of cards that need a home.

Thanks for stopping by. What other interests have you pursued lately? I'd love to see. Leave me a link to your projects, tips or patterns.

Comments

  1. thank you for visiting my lil blog!

    i LOVE that ruffle shirt you created, great job....careful, you will become addicted to that sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.