Skip to main content

New (to me) spring wreath

New to me because I took the old wreath and made it new! My old, non seasonal wreath has been around a while, first inside, then outside for 4-5 years. I failed to take a before picture. It was a brown grapevine wreath with mauve magnolias. The flowers had faded and gotten dirty. I also kept noticing when I passed my house each day that it didn't really stand out on my door. There may as well not have been a wreath there. SO, what's a girl to do? Throw it away and buy another one? Oh no, not if that baby can be salvaged.

I took all of the flowers off. I did throw some of them away because there was no life left to them. Well, maybe some of you could have done something with them- dye them or something- if you have a solution let me know for future reference.  I saved some of the ivy pieces and cleaned them with a damp toothbrush and paper towels. I painted the form with Krylon antique white spray paint. When it was dry, I got the glue gun and went to work. I purchased a spring mix spray from Michaels and a couple of other 99 cent sprays. I have only $5-6 in the flowers. I put hydrangeas and daisies where the magnolias used to be. I put the ivy back pretty much where it was before. I didn't have a plan for this, but while I was working I noticed the felt butterflies I purchased lying there. I bought them because I love butterflies and lime green, so I had to have them. I decided to glue them on one side of the wreath. I also wanted to add a little more to them, so I glued some small paper flowers from the scrapbooking stash to the butterflies. Then I found a bow I had saved from a gift basket I received over five years ago. FIVE YEARS AGO! Yes I have saved a bow for that long and it doesn't look like an episode of hoarders around here, really! The bow has butterflies on it and I know one day I could use it- so saving it has been justified.

If you're still with me after all that, here's what you've been waiting for - my new spring wreath:






I link to these parties:

An Oldie but Goodie


Comments

  1. Love the colors in your wreath!! Those green butterflies are just darling!!
    Thanks so much for linking it up to Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! You are an ubber talented wreath maker! I love the felt butterflies!!!!
    Visiting from the Sundae Scoop! Stop by and see my project at http://cookscleansplayswithpaper.blogspot.com/2011/03/crepe-paper-medallions-part-1-vintage.html
    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute wreath. Isnt it rewarding to create your own. Stop by and see my spring wreath here

    http://timetobeefocused.blogspot.com/2009/03/eggscelent.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. Thanks for creating such a great blog with so much fab inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sooo pretty! Love all the spring colors and the beautiful butterflies! Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/04/pink-hippo-party-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the wreath :) great job
    really like the music choices on your blog. found you from Sumo's Sweet Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! The bow sure looks cute 5 years later. Happy to see your creative idea linked up last week at my K.I.S.S. blog bash. Looking forward to seeing what great project you share this week, remember the link is open until Tuesday @ midnight {CST}.

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.