Skip to main content

Butterflies and daisies


Butterflies and daisies are two of my favorite things. My grandmother used to grow gerbera daisies. After she passed away, my mom transplanted them at her house. I love all of their vivid bright summer colors. Maybe I should grow some of my own.... Okay, that's another story for another day. Let's just say I didn't inherit that green thumb.

Since I don't have any of my own growing, I made myself an arrangement with some artificial ones from Michaels. (Purchased during a 60% off sale.) My inspiration came from a project at Joann's but my arrangement is so far from the original, it's not worth showing for comparison. I've totally made this my own project.

I started with this container that's been in my stash for a few years (an after Christmas clearance purchase).


I pulled out some old papers from my scrapbook stash. I mean old, like some of the first ones purchased in 2003. (Please tell me I'm not the only one with stuff that old.) I cut the paper to fit my container. Note: I used a 8 1/2 by 11 inch piece of paper and it did not meet on the sides, so I pieced the sides- meaning,  I cut some strips for the sides and lapped the front and back over those. I got out the Mod Podge and adhered my paper to the tin. I didn't cut it perfectly to fit at the top and bottom. I went back with an exacto knife and trimmed those edges. That takes the measuring and guessing out of it.  I coated the whole thing with a couple of coats of Mod Podge.

On the front side I added a vintage butterfly image that I got from This Blessed Nest. I opened the image in Adobe Photoshop Elements and rotated. I resized it to 4x6 inches and printed it out. I mounted it on a piece of cardstock and trimmed a decorative edge.  Then I applied this to the tin with Mod Podge also.

Here's the front and back of my tin:




I placed some floral foam in the bottom of the tin and added my flowers and fillers.  I used three grass bushes, an orchid bush, and a gerbera daisy bush. I added some metal butterflies picks, also purchased at Michaels. (You would think they paid me to advertise as much as I mention them, but nope, that's  just the only local place to shop here, other than Wal-mart and I avoid that place like the plague.)

My arrangement proudly sits on my guest bath countertop, along with my other butterfly decor. The whole bathroom is decorated in a butterfly theme and was done on the cheap too.  Would you like to see more of the bathroom? Maybe I'll post that one day.


I'll be linking up
 

Comments

  1. I love this! I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. I'm following now. I hope you'll stop by Katherines Corner and say hello and maybe even enter my latest giveaway. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I love your little butterflies. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.