Skip to main content

Color blocked planter

I've been working on a front porch makeover and as part of that, I've made over some of my old flower pots. I took inspiration from East Coast Creative's color blocked planters featured in my Must Do Monday planter round up and made my own.

I started with an old plastic planter with a removable bottom tray.



It was certainly in need of some TLC. This photo was taken after I washed it off. With a little spray paint, I soon had this:



I chose my colors for my planter using a striped pillow I had just purchased for my porch makeover as inspiration.  To start,  I taped off the top rim. I'm not a good painter so I had to do this. I still had some overspray but since I was using black in the middle I didn't worry too much about it. If I were using a color that wouldn't cover, I would have taped further down.  I painted the top rim with Krylon Fusion for plastics in Sunbeam (gloss). I painted the inside of the rim as well since this might show.



Once the yellow dried, I taped over the rim and painted the rest of it with Krylon Fusion gloss black. I painted the bottom piece with Krylon Fusion in patriotic blue.

Once it was all dried, I filled it with some potting mix, purple grass, sweet potato vine, and vinca.

 

While I had the spray paint out, I transformed this old green pot into an amazing blue one with Patriotic blue.

Before:


After:



I'll be sharing here:


Visit thecsiproject.com

Comments

  1. Oh, the transformative power of spray paint! I loved the colour blocked planters on East Cost Creative, too :)

    The colours you used look great together and the flowers make it look that much more fantastic!

    Definitely on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful transformations! The colors really make the plants and flowers stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you got amazing coverage! I can never get that seamless solid colour. Your pieces look great. Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize this week~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the flower pots and colors. I hope you will link these up to The CSI Project. The challenge is Summer outdoor decorating and parties. Come on over! You just might win!!!!

    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great transformation !! I have several pots that I could do this too but it will have to wait until the end of the season now as they are filled with flowers!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great makeover! I love what a little coat of spray paint can do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! What a transformation. Blah to AMAZING!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this fantastic

    would love it if you could share them on my link party - http://serenityyou.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/serenity-saturday-48.html

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yay! I have lots of sad old pots that need a serious bit of TLC. Thank you. They look incredible, and what a difference from the before to the after.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.