Skip to main content

DIY paper box (without a die cut machine)

I saw this cute idea at the Silhouette blog, but I have the SD and cannot cut 12 inch files, so I made a box for a flower gift the old fashioned way. I'll show you how. These make great teacher's, thinking of you friend, or mother's day gifts. I know Mother's Day is passed and for most of you, you are done with teacher gifts, but they really work for any occasion. Here is one I made for a friend just to cheer her up. (She later told me she put an air plant in her box so she could take it to work and keep the box - awesome idea since the box won't hold up to watering a regular plant.)



I started with a pint size annual from Lowes (petunias).


I made a box for it and dressed it up with a stamped bible verse (Verve stamps) on a Nestabilities labels four die cut. (You can do this even without a die cut machine- cut a circle, oval or square by hand). I used the Silhouette plant picks to cut out picks. One of them is stamped with a verse from ODB and the other with a just for you phrase. To get the picks to stay in the flower, tape a toothpick to the back.




Now- how to make that box. For this size plant cut a 12x12 inch sheet of scrapbook paper to 9 x 12. Score the paper at 2 1/2 inches from each end on the short side


And at 4 and 8 inches on the long side.


Then punch each 9 inch end with a decorative punch. Next, make cuts into the sheet on the middle score lines but not all the way across.


Now fold the box and glue together. I used Elmer's Craft Bond glue stick.


Embellish the box as you desire.

Here are a couple I made for my mother and mother-in-law for Mother's Day.



Sharing here:

Comments

  1. So pretty! I love the little stakes you made too, they really finish everything off perfectly. If you're looking for another place to share your projects, head on over to Etcetorize (http://etcetorize.blogspot.com). Would love to see you again~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love it - you're so very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So perfect. And even though I love my die cutters, it's great to be able to just cut things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooo cute! And I just love the tutorial and that you didn't have to use a fancy machine to make it! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words! I love hearing from you.